The restored log cabin at Plumtree, known as the "Burleson Cabin," is said to be one of the oldest cabins still standing in Avery County. It is thought to date to Revolutionary times and may have been standing when the Overmountain Men defeated the British at Kings Mountain in 1780.
Famous Louise's Rock House Restaurant is located in Linville Falls, North Carolina and is on the National Register of Historical Places. It was formerly known as the Linville Falls Tavern and was built by Lenoir Franklin (1871 - 1943). The county lines of three different counties--Avery, Mitchell, and McDowell--run through the restaurant.
Old Avery County Jail
Built in 1912, the Avery County Jail opened in 1913, and served the county until it closed in 1970. It was not only the jail, but also the home for the jailer and his family. The Avery Museum took possession of the building in 1976, and continues to use the site to operate one of the best local history museums in the area.
Avery County Court House
The Avery County Court House was constructed in 1912. It was the last of a series of courthouses designed by Wheeler and Runge, of Charlotte. There were nine of these built, and all survive save the courthouse in Watauga County. The building has undergone extensive renovations on the inside and expansion on the outside.
The old Cranberry High School was built in 1923 and served students until 1969, when all three high schools in Avery County were consolidated into one. The facility is still used for community events and is undergoing on-going restoration efforts.
Old Rock Gym
Another WPA project in Avery County, the Old Rock Gym was constructed in Newland, using native stone. It was built between 1938 and 1939. It is still a popular recreational and community center.
Avery County Bank
First known as the E. C. Guy building, this structure served as the Avery County bank until 1956. Today it houses a law office.
Constructed in 1865 by Samuel Banner, a Union Civil War veteran, the beautiful Banner House was an impressive home in the nineteenth century. Today, it is beautifully preserved and houses the Banner House Museum. A Civil War Trail Marker is also on the site.
Pine Grove Church
While some church fellowships are older, Pine Grove United Methodist Church in Ingalls has the oldest building. It was constructed in ca. 1878.
Yellow Mountain Road
Also known as Bright's Trace, this path started out as an Indian road. It runs from Roan Mountain, down Roaring Creek, and into the Ingalls community. A part of the old roadbed still exists behind the Sunny Brook Store.
When Newland was created, the town planners laid out a square in the center of town and named it after county namesake Waightstill Avery. Today, Avery Square is home to monuments and memorials to local law enforcement and veterans.
Old Cannon Hospital/Tate Dorm
This structure was the third hospital built in the Banner Elk community. Today, it is the Tate Dorm.
Construction on Eseeola began in 1891. The original building burned on June 28, 1936. The Inn continues in the Chestnut Annex.
Built in 1890, the Wakins House, in the Altamont community, sits on the site of the Palmer House, which was burned during the Civil War. The Watkins House was built in 1890.
Noah Webb constructed this cabin on Little Plumtree Creek in 1900. In 1956, the D.A.R. in Crossnore acquired the cabin, and a year later, had it moved to the campus of Crossnore School.
Montezuma Methodist Church
There were once two Methodist churches in Montezuma. The Southern Methodist Church was built between 1907 and 1917 and today is privately owned. The Northern Methodist Church does not survive.
The Old Hampton Store in Linville was constructed in 1920. It is still in operation in 2016.
Garrett Memorial Hospital
Constructed in 1928, for many years Garrett Memorial Hospital was encased by a much larger and modern hospital. When the two hospitals in Avery County combined, the newer portions around Garrett were demolished, and the original structure was restored.
The Shawneehaw Cheese Factory was built in Banner Elk between 1917 and 1918. The building is currently owned by Lees-McRae College.
Childsville was founded by the Childs family in the early 1800s. When Mitchell County was created, the community became the county seat, and the name changed to Calhoun in honor of John C. Calhoun. After the Civil War, the county seat moved to Bakersville, and the name reverted back to Childsville. The community is now under the Avery County airport.
Tar Heel Mica Mine
The Tar Heel Company was started in the late nineteenth century. The complex was built in the 1910s. Following World War II, the local mica industry declined. In 2016, the Blind Squirrel Brewery occupies the building, making craft beer.
Plumtree Presbyterian Church
Originally constructed between 1912 and 1914, the Plumtree Presbyterian Church continues to be in use by congregants.
The Keener House was built in 1879 and served as the Keenersville Post Office. It was also the home of Lt. Col. John Keener and his wife Lydia Louise Wiseman. The window at the far left was the post office window and citizens would ride up to the window on their horses to send or receive mail. Unfortunately, this great old home was razed in June 2016.