Caboose 505 was constructed in Johnson City, Tennessee, in December 1927. It served the railroad until retirement in October 1950. It was the only caboose in service from 1934 until 1950. Famed conductor Cy Crumbly bought the caboose and moved it to Watauga Lake to use as a fishing cabin. It was moved later to a site near Bristol. In 2014, the caboose was moved to the Avery Museum, and placed on tracks laid in front of the Linville Depot.
The ET&WNC RR Caboose 505 is the Avert Museum’s latest project. The Museum needs to raise $50,000 for the restoration of the only remaining ET&WNC RR caboose. Please feel free to use the donation button to help us preserve this treasured piece of the past.