The Avery County museum building was built in 1912 and served as the jail from 1913 until 1970. it became a museum in 1976 and still continues to tell our county's story. The Avery Museum features many exhibits covering the past of Avery County, North Carolina, and also features the newly opened Linville Depot, which is the only depot remaining from the East Tennessee and Western North Carolina Railroad.
The East Tennessee and Western North Carolina Railroad
The Avery Museum has the distinction of exhibiting the only remaining depot and caboose of the ET&WNC (East TENNESSEE and Western North Carolina) railroad. The depot is fully restored with both the passenger waiting area and the freight loading area complete. The caboose has only recently arrived and has yet to be restored.